For some assignments I sometime need an assistant (helping carrying, setting up gears) or a 2nd shooter (covering an other side of the event).
WHAT I EXPECT FROM A 2nd SHOOTER:
- get a written agreement including the scope of work, compensation, duration, deliverables, delivery, insurance...
Gear (yours? mine?)
- raw files in full size, full resolution
- delivery through online download or hard drive
- directly giving the cards back at the end of the event (main shooter cards) or always within 1 week
- with commercial license for the main shooter
If the client doesn't pay for a second shooter I have little margin.
If YES then I offer usually:
$25/h for shooting,
+$25/h for bringing/using your own gear,
+$50/h for culling and editing your images
No incidentals (travel, food...).
Payment can be done 50% at event, 50% after delivery and assessment of the images.
- Be on time (or early).
- Don't check your phone, facebook... in front of client or guests.
- Be nice with other vendors, it's critical. Take care of them.
- Don't drink alcohol on assignment.
- Smile, smile, smile and leave ego at the door.
- Divide and conquer, it's a huge plus.
- Do synchronize your camera with him.
- Do adjust to the main shooter, if he's in the center, go to the side, if he has a tele-zoom lens, shoot wide, if he's doing must-have, shoot different angles.
- Don't take pictures where the main shooter is in (unless you target a behind the scene shoot).
BE RESPECTFUL OF THE BUSINESS
The main photographer booked the client, not the 2nd shooter.
- Do keep in mind all communications with client should be done by the main shooter, if you learn something make sure to let him know asap.
- Don't facebook, chit chat, the couple, client, wedding party.
- Don't give your own business card during the event, a second shooter represent the main shooter brand toward his clients and guests.
- Do ask the photographer to be able to use some shoots in your portfolio or facebook after. If the client comes asking the main shooter why their images are on another website and he doesn't know that's really bad.